Skip to Content

Residents had to escape through window during Binghamton fire, officials say

6:00 P.M. TUESDAY UPDATE: The Binghamton family that escaped from a fire in their home Saturday spoke with 12 News Tuesday about their terrifying escape.

Binghamton fire officials said it was holiday lights that sent the family’s porch into a blaze.

The family’s had to act fast, but the children refused to run past the flames.

They moved to a nearby bedroom, sticking their heads out a second-story window.

Father William Rust fell out the window. He then caught a family friend as she jumped, followed by son William and daughters Niamiah and Sarah.

“The smoke was so dark and just so heavy that like I just know they’re coming at this point. I had to catch them,” said William Rust.

“The only thing I could think of is I just want make sure they were safe,” said Sarah Rust.

All made it out okay, but their home is destroyed.

“You never would imagine going through something like this. It was the scariest and hardest thing I think I’ve ever had to go through,” continued William Rust.

If you’d like to help out the family, you can donate to the Hands of Christ Disaster Relief Ministry. They’re collecting housewares, couches and Christmas presents for children.

To reach the ministry, you can reach organizer, Whip, at (607) 761-6686.

BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — Fire officials say some residents inside a Binghamton home had to escape the building through a second-story window during a fire.

The fire happened at 87 Glenwood Avenue around 10:30 p.m. Saturday, according to Binghamton Assistant Fire Marshal Tim O’Neal.

O’Neal stated holiday lights caused the fire at the building, which has four apartments inside it.

Six people — three adults and three children — escaped the apartment in which the fire began. O’Neal says two escaped through the normal entryway, but others had to escape through a window on the second floor. The rest of the building’s occupants were able to exit normally.

O’Neal also explained that there were flames on the back porch of the building, which extended to the attic area of the building.

Four people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries, O’Neal says.

David Hermanovitch

Skip to content