Skip to Content

Six departments respond to electrical fire in Bainbridge

BAINBRIDGE, N.Y. (WBNG) — Firefighters worked for nearly two hours to put out a house fire Sunday afternoon in Bainbridge.

Chenango county Fire Coordinator Matthew Beckwith tells 12 News the call for a fire at 3 Johnson Street came in around 3:20 p.m.

Beckwith says the fire began due to an electrical issue on the first floor of the building, which holds one apartment unit on each floor. He notes the fire spread to the second floor.

One person on the first floor was home at the time and called the report in. Beckwith adds there was no one home in the second-floor apartment and no injuries were reported.

Six departments responded to the fire, which was put out around 5 p.m. Sunday, according to the fire coordinator.

The building can be repaired, but the home would need some renovation for people to live in it again, Beckwith noted. He also added that two people lived in the first-floor apartment, and a man and his daughter lived on the second floor. Families of the people who lived inside are helping them out, Beckwith said.

Fire departments from Bainbridge, Guilford, Afton, Sidney, Masonville all responded, along with county fire coordinators.


David Hermanovitch

Skip to content