Skip to Content

Two pets dead, one firefighter injured, family displaced in overnight house fire in Johnson City

JOHNSON CITY (WBNG) — The Johnson City Fire Department responded to a call early Sunday morning of a large house fire.

According to officials, the blaze was in the back of 424 Oakdale Road. Upon arrival around 1 a.m., they say there was heavy fire on the first and second floors of the house.

Although the fire was contained to the rear of the home with over 20 feet between the house and garage, officials report the flames were intense enough to cause the siding of the garage and multiple items in the driveway to melt.

At the time of the fire, four adults and two children were in the residence. Fire officials say, all residents got out safely and received assistance from the Red Cross.

Neighbors say they heard an explosion and saw flames coming from the house.

“First the house was on fire, and we were standing out here, and then something exploded in the back. I thought it was my truck but it wasn’t. I heard a big explosion, and then people from the neighbors came up because they heard it and felt it, the explosion, but don’t know what it is,” said Aaron Hatch.

Authorities say it took crews 45 minutes to extinguish the main set of flames, but it took a few hours to locate and extinguish multiple “hot spot” fire pockets that were hidden.

Officials say the firefighters were successful in stopping the spread of the flames to neighboring houses, but that building construction was a factor in the fire spreading and made it difficult to battle the flames.

Authorities say, two dogs are reported dead as a result of the fire, with one additional dog unaccounted for. They add, one firefighter was injured and was taken to Wilson Hospital where he was treated and released.

The family of the home that caught fire tells 12 News they’re offering a $300 reward to find their missing dog named Diesel.

At this time, the investigation into what started the fire is ongoing, but officials do not suspect suspicious activity.

The Johnson City Fire Department was helped at the scene by Endwell’s fire cascade unit, and the crews maintained a fire watch on the house until 8 a.m.

Abigail Lane

Skip to content