Skip to Content

Fire officials evacuate senior housing building due to hazmat situation

HANCOCK (WBNG) – The Hancock Fire Department evacuated a senior housing building Sunday after hazardous materials were found.

The department says they arrived at Read Memorial Senior Housing just before 1 p.m. after an automatic fire alarm went off.

Officials say, when they arrived, they found active hazardous materials from a potentially harmful chemical which was accidentally released by a resident.

Emergency responders did not specify what exactly the hazardous material was.

Firefighters then ordered an immediate evacuation of the building while crews wearing hazard suits mitigated the situation.

All residents of the building were temporarily relocated to the Hancock Central High School building while crews investigated the issue.

Residents were able to return to the senior housing at 6 p.m. No residents or emergency responders were injured during the incident.

The Hancock Volunteer Fire Department was assisted by the Town of Hancock Ambulance, Village of Hancock Police Department, Village of Hancock Code Enforcement, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Police, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Spill Response Team, Delaware County Office of Emergency Services, Delaware County 911, Chemtrec, Hancock Central School District and the American Red Cross.

WBNG Staff

Skip to content