HANCOCK (WBNG) – A call for a reported natural gas leak at a home in the 300 block of West Main Street sent officials scrambling at around 8:45 p.m. Thursday night.
According to the Hancock Volunteer Fire Department’s Official Facebook page, Hancock Fire, Police, and Ambulance responded to the call and within minutes, confirmed an active natural gas leak from the house.
That’s when crews ordered a mandatory evacuation of surrounding buildings.
They also shut down West Main Street from Pennsylvania Avenue to West Front Street.
Wearing protective gear, Hancock fire crews shut off the natural gas to the house and reportedly slowed the leak until NYSEG crews arrived on scene.
They shut off the gas to about 10 buildings to ensure safety.
NYSEG crews, along with Hancock firefighters, stopped the leak and got the situation under control within about an hour.
Those evacuated were allowed back into their homes and the power was later turned back on.
Evacuated residents were aloud back into their homes and electric service was restored as well.
We would like to thank the Town of Hancock Ambulance, NYSEG, Village of Hancock Police Department, Village of Hancock DPW, Town of Hancock Code Enforcement, Delaware County 911 and New York State Police for their assistance with this incident.