Skip to Content

Crews respond to massive fire in town of Nanticoke

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

NANTICOKE (WBNG) - Multiple fire crews battled a massive house fire Monday night behind Fire Fox Resorts in the town of Nanticoke.

Fire officials say the blaze started at a home on Rabbit Path Road and took about two and a half hours to get the flames under control.

"Came down through and the flames was about 10 feet from the roof in front of the structure were most of the damage was done. From there it just spread very quickly. Starting getting into the back. We had guys in the side door they got in front of it. Stopped it through the ceiling and stopped it from spreading through the rest of the structure," said second assistant chief for the Glen Aubrey Fire Department, Nicholas Collier.

Collier says five people were inside the home when the blaze started and everyone was able to escape unharmed.

Fire officials believe 50 percent of the home was destroyed while the other half is possibly salvageable.

Glen Aubrey Fire tells 12 News it believes the flames started from a pellet stove and was sparked when the home lost electricity earlier in the day and the stove overheated.

"There was a power outage around 4 o'clock today and there is no way to vent your pellet stove so, that's what they are going to determine. It's a pellet stove," said Collier.

Fire officials say the Red Cross was also at the scene to help the displaced family.


Skip to content