(WBNG) -- SUNY Chancellor Jim Malatras announced Tuesday that SUNY Athletic Conference spring sports will resume on March 20 with certain restrictions in place.
Lacrosse, baseball, softball, tennis, and track and field will have seasons in the spring.
The plan to have spring sports was put together by campus presidents, athletics directors, coaches and health directors.
The plan includes the following restrictions:
- Conference will be split into East/West region to limit travel and overnight stays
- Masks worn at all times by athletes, coaches, officials, except for athletes during competition or active practice
- No spectators pursuant to New York State Department of Health guidance
- Regular weekly testing/COVID symptom checks prior to competition
- Prior to road games, athletes will be tested within three days of departure
- No eating, masks worn on buses for travel; bus capacity reduced to 50 percent
- No handshakes, group celebrations or pre or post-interaction with opposing team
The office of the SUNY Chancellor says any COVID-19 outbreaks could delay or pause competitions.
Malatras says his office will "aggressively handle" any situations involving COVID-19 if they emerge during the spring sports season.