(WBNG) -- July is National Vehicle Theft Prevention Month. Here is how you can avoid becoming a victim of vehicle theft.
- Always keep your car locked. Whether you are in public or at home, remember to lock your doors. This is the first thing a thief will check for.
- Do not leave your car running and unattended. This makes your car an easy target for thieves.
- Avoid leaving valuables in sight. Besides your car, thieves are also looking for other items such as purses, wallets and phones.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Try to park in an area that is in plain view or in a place surrounded by people and light.
- Never leave your keys in your car. Key fobs count as well. Even if you are leaving your car for a brief moment, be sure to have your keys with you.
873,080 vehicles were stolen in 2020 according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, with numbers spiking in summer months.