Skip to Content

New York braces for healthcare staff shortages as the deadline to get vaccinated draws near

nurses

BINGHAMTON, NY (WBNG/WWNY) - Monday is the deadline for New York healthcare workers to get vaccinated or they will lose their job.

Many people in the Southern Tier have stated they will take the risk. Protests earlier this month drew hundreds of people, with some of them telling 12 News they would rather the vaccine be a matter of personal choice.

Hospitals around the state and New York Governor Kathy Hochul are bracing for the staffing shortage that will follow.

Hochul released her comprehensive plan to address the issue Saturday morning.

She says she will sign an executive order if necessary to declare a State of Emergency in the state to bring in healthcare professionals from other states and countries to alleviate the staffing crisis.

She says recent graduates, retired healthcare workers and medically-trained national guard members will also be called upon.

Hochul says as of September 22nd, 84% of hospital employees in the state were vaccinated. Leaving 16% without the shot and potentially without a job come Monday.

In nursing homes and adult care facilities, 23% and 19% were still unvaccinated as of Thursday respectively.

That’s nearly a quarter of the staff at nursing homes.

Copyright 2021 WWNY. All rights reserved.

Author Profile Photo

WBNG

Skip to content