Heater caused fire that killed dog in Bainbridge, investigators say

BAINBRIDGE, N.Y. (WBNG) — Fire officials in Chenango County pinpointed what sparked a fire in a barn that contained apartments in Bainbridge.

The barn on Searles Hill Road caught fire on Monday afternoon.

Chenango County Fire Coordinator Matthew Beckwith tells 12 News a propane-fueled heater in one of the two apartments inside was left on when the tenant left for work that morning.

No one was injured, but a dog in the apartment unit died.

RELATED: Dog dies in barn apartment fire in Bainbridge

Beckwith says no one was home in the apartment in which the fire began. Someone in the other apartment discovered the fire and got their pets out, but was not able to get inside the other apartment to save the dog.

The barn had been modified to house the two apartment units, Beckwith said. There is also a wood shop beneath the apartments.

Beckwith explained the apartment where the fire started is a complete loss, but the rest of the barn may be salvageable.

David Hermanovitch

David Hermanovitch

More News

Your Weather Authority

Connect with WBNG
WBNG Watch Live
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content