Ernest Franklin trial pushed to 2019

NORWICH, N.Y. (WBNG) — The trial for a Mount Upton man accused of killing his adopted, special needs son then setting fire to the home to cover up the crime is being pushed back once again.

Jury selection for Ernest Franklin had been scheduled to begin on Wednesday. The Chenango County District Attorney’s office says an issue was brought up in court which was determined could impact having a fair trial.

The trial will now take place sometime in the first quarter of 2019, according to the district attorney’s office. His trial was also delayed back in June, after questions were raised about a expert who was going to testify.

He and his wife Heather are charged in the murder of their 16-year-old adoptive son Jeffrey. Prosecutors claim the Franklins killed Jeffrey in March 2017, then set fire to their home in Mount Upton.

According to the Chenango County District Attorney’s Office, Jeffrey was dead before the fire was set. Investigators also claim the Franklins watched the film “Manchester By The Sea” before Jeffrey’s death. In the movie, is told he cannot be prosecuted for accidentally killing his children, following an accidental house fire.

Heather Franklin posted $125,000 bail in April 2017. That bail was reduced to $90,000 on October 29.

 

David Hermanovitch

David Hermanovitch

More News
Scroll to top
Skip to content