Malfunctioning power strip caused fire that killed 5 kids

UNION CITY, N.J. (AP) — Federal investigators say a malfunctioning power strip sparked a New Jersey house fire that killed five children.

The report from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also concludes the July 13 fire in Union City was an accident.

The report made public Thursday by Hudson County prosecutors states the power strip started sparking after an electrical failure, which ignited nearby flammable materials in a first-floor apartment at the home.

The children — 2-year-old Jason Gonzalez, 4-year-old Shamira Lopez, 5-year-old Mayli Wood, 7-year-old Christian Josue Mendez and 13-year-old Jose Felipe Tejada — died from injuries suffered in the fire. They were all asleep in a third-floor apartment when the fire broke out.

Officials have said four of the children were siblings, while the fifth was a relative. A man and a woman were also injured in the fire.

Associated Press
Associated Press

Associated Press

More News

Your Weather Authority

Owego
36°
Delhi
37°
Norwich
Lake effect snow expected tonight

Lake effect snow expected tonight

Tonight: Lake effect snow showers. Accumulations: Up to 1” possible in persistent snow over higher elevations and on grass and

Connect With WBNG
Top Stories

Historic Free Coburn Library to add new elevator

The Free Coburn Library in Owego is getting a makeover, adding a brand new elevator to increase library accessibility.

‘Red Carpet Inn’ in Endicott for sale

The owner of the Red Carpet Inn in Endicott says she hopes to either save the business or sell it

Early chill has local road crews preparing for winter weather

(WBNG) — It’s unreal to believe it’s halfway through October, and some late fall chill has already settled in. That

Greater Binghamton Airport hopeful for state funding

Broome County leaders say funding would help the airport tremendously and it's something they continue to apply for.

Endicott man dealing with murky, brown water in home

Jason Shaffer said brown water has been coming out of his shower, faucets, toilets and washing machine for nearly two

Scroll to top
Skip to content