Residents had to escape through window during Binghamton fire, officials say

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

6:00 P.M. TUESDAY UPDATE: The Binghamton family that escaped from a fire in their home Saturday spoke with 12 News Tuesday about their terrifying escape.

Binghamton fire officials said it was holiday lights that sent the family’s porch into a blaze.

The family’s had to act fast, but the children refused to run past the flames.

They moved to a nearby bedroom, sticking their heads out a second-story window.

Father William Rust fell out the window. He then caught a family friend as she jumped, followed by son William and daughters Niamiah and Sarah.

“The smoke was so dark and just so heavy that like I just know they’re coming at this point. I had to catch them,” said William Rust.

“The only thing I could think of is I just want make sure they were safe,” said Sarah Rust.

All made it out okay, but their home is destroyed.

“You never would imagine going through something like this. It was the scariest and hardest thing I think I’ve ever had to go through,” continued William Rust.

If you’d like to help out the family, you can donate to the Hands of Christ Disaster Relief Ministry. They’re collecting housewares, couches and Christmas presents for children.

To reach the ministry, you can reach organizer, Whip, at (607) 761-6686.

BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — Fire officials say some residents inside a Binghamton home had to escape the building through a second-story window during a fire.

The fire happened at 87 Glenwood Avenue around 10:30 p.m. Saturday, according to Binghamton Assistant Fire Marshal Tim O’Neal.

O’Neal stated holiday lights caused the fire at the building, which has four apartments inside it.

Six people — three adults and three children — escaped the apartment in which the fire began. O’Neal says two escaped through the normal entryway, but others had to escape through a window on the second floor. The rest of the building’s occupants were able to exit normally.

O’Neal also explained that there were flames on the back porch of the building, which extended to the attic area of the building.

Four people were taken to the hospital with minor injuries, O’Neal says.

David Hermanovitch

David Hermanovitch

More News

Your Weather Authority

Owego
32°
Delhi
32°
Norwich
A wintry mess coming overnight into Sunday

A wintry mess coming overnight into Sunday

Aloft, rain is going to be the precipitation type in this warmer layer, until it interacts with the colder air

Connect With WBNG
Top Stories

‘The Notorious RBG’ draws sold-out audience in New York

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is an unlikely national rock star. But "The Notorious RBG" is now the

‘O Tannenbaum’ exhibit ends for the season

The winter wonderland exhibit, known as 'O Tannenbaum," at the Tioga County Historical Society ended for the season on Saturday.

The Southern Tier honored veterans with holiday wreaths

As a part of National Wreaths Across America Day, several organizations in the Southern Tier laid wreaths on veteran grave

Community celebrates the holidays at Christmas Cookies 5K

Runners raced toward the holidays by competing in the Christmas Cookie Run on Saturday. 

Family of migrant girl disputes official story on her death

Lawyers for the family of a 7-year-old girl who died while in U.S. Border Patrol custody say she did

Scroll to top
Skip to content