Despite Schuyler County announcement, Woodstock 50 organizers say show will go on

Remaining Ad Time Ad - 00:00

WATKINS GLEN (WBNG) — On Monday Schuyler County Administrator Tim O’Hearn said he was told the 50th anniversary concert of Woodstock, set to take place in August at Watkins Glen International, is canceled. However organizers of the three day festival say not so fast.

In a statement to 12 News Woodstock 50 organizers said:

“We are committed to ensuring that the 50th Anniversary of Woodstock is marked with a festival deserving of its iconic name and place in American history and culture.   Although our financial partner is withdrawing,  we will of course be continuing with the planning of the festival and intend to bring on new partners.  We would like to acknowledge the State of New York and Schuyler County for all of their hard work and support. The bottom line is, there is going to be a Woodstock 50th Anniversary Festival, as there must be,  and it’s going to be a blast.”

Monday, financial investor in the event, Dentsu Aegis Network’s Amplifi Live said it’s pulling funding stating:

“Despite our tremendous investment of time, effort and commitment, we don’t believe the production of the festival can be executed as an event worthy of the Woodstock Brand name.”

Michael Lang, a Woodstock founder and organizer of Woodstock 50 said Dentsu executives don’t have the right to “unilaterally” cancel the event.

O’Hearn said earlier on Monday that the concert canceled would cost Schuyler County millions of dollars, but “we’ll lick our wounds and we’ll move on.”

Jeremy Wilson, manager of Jerlando’s Pizza in Watkins Glen, said summer is a profitable time of the year and hopes some event can make up for it. If the festival is no longer in Watkins Glen, Wilson said it would be awful for hotels and its guests who would have to cancel plans.

While event organizers said it will go on, there’s no mention if it will still be at Watkins Glen or rescheduled at another time or place, still residents are in shock about the announcement they heard from O’Hearn Monday afternoon.

“There were going to be a lot of bands coming that you didn’t think would’ve came to Woodstock then others well known and respected, still shocking,” said Kyle Hancharik of Watkins Glen.

The festival lineup was released weeks ago with dozens of bands and well known artists to celebrate the 1969 Woodstock music festival in Bethel, NY. A Woodstock anniversary concert in Bethel is still planned to go on.

“Like” Michael Schwartz on Facebook and “Follow” him on Twitter.  

 

Michael Schwartz

Michael Schwartz

More News
Scroll to top
Skip to content