Town officials deny application to hold Woodstock 50 at Vernon Downs

VERNON, N.Y. (WBNG/WKTV) — An application denial is striking yet another blow in the search to find a location for a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the famous 1969 Woodstock festival.

Vincent Rossi, an attorney for the town of Vernon, New York, confirmed to Utica CBS affiliate WKTV that an application to hold Woodstock 50 at Vernon Downs casino was denied on Tuesday afternoon.

The application was denied by the town’s code officer, Rossi said. He explained that the application was short and had little detail. Rossi also explained that the town requires that permit applications be submitted 120 days prior to events, which means the application needed to be submitted in April.

Woodstock 50 organizers can appeal the application’s rejection through the town’s planning board in the next five days if it wishes.

A request for comment from Woodstock 50 officials has not yet received a response.

The original Woodstock festival was held August 15-18, 1969 in Bethel, New York.

Woodstock 50 is being planned by Michael Lang, who organized the original Woodstock festival.

The celebration had been originally scheduled to be held at Watkins Glen International Speedway on August 16-18 until officials from the racetrack canceled the event’s site license in June.

This comes after a series of setbacks for the festival. Ticket sales, which had been slated to begin in April, were delayed pending clearance from the New York State Department of Health to hold the concert.

A court battle followed after the festival’s financial partner announced later in April that it was canceling the concert, which Woodstock 50 organizer fought tooth and nail against.

READ MORE: Woodstock 50 organizers says financing firm using 2020 Olympics as bargaining chip to get talen to drop out

A New York State Supreme court judge ruled in favor of Woodstock 50 in May. Organizers announced the following month that the festival had a new financial partner.

There is a separate, multi-night anniversary celebration scheduled for August 15-18 at the Bethel Woods Performing Arts Center, featuring performances by Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band, Santana, and The Doobie Brothers.

David Hermanovitch

David Hermanovitch

More News

Your Weather Authority

Connect with WBNG
WBNG Watch Live
Top Stories
Scroll to top
Skip to content