(WBNG) — The New York State Department of Taxation and Finance is alerting taxpayers about a recent scam.
Victims may receive a fake letter demanding payment for an outstanding tax debt.
The letter also states that if the recipient fails to respond to the notices, and does not make a payment by a specific date, the department will revoke their driver’s license and passport and claim their personal property.
The return address printed on the letter is listed as a Tax Processing Center, Internal Processing Service,
Public Judgment Records.
A legitimate letter from the department will include:
- Tax Department logo
- Complete return mailing address
- Option to respond online, by phone, or by mail
- Tax Department website address
- Detailed explanation for why it was sent
- An explanation of your rights as a taxpayer
The Department of Taxation and Finance never threatens to arrest individuals or revoke identification.